Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Mushroom, Broccoli, and Chicken Risotto


I don't eat a lot of carbs anymore, so when I do, I make sure they are the tastiest I can create. Hence we had creamy, satisfying risotto for dinner recently. I find cooking risotto helps me relax and puts me in a more patient frame of mind.

Risotto calms me down because I am tied to the spatula, stirring gently for about twenty minutes. While my arm slowly circles, I am imagining the first warm, toothsome bite. I know the rice will be soft on the outside with a little resistance inside. The first forkful of rice will be sticky with parmesan cheese and punctuated by vegetables. There will be a few grindings of fresh black pepper on top.

Mushroom, Broccoli, and Chicken Risotto
serves 3 - 4

1 garlic clove
200 g mushrooms
1 small head of broccoli
250 g chicken breast
1 T olive oil
1 1/2 c (275 g) arborio rice
5 c (1.25 L) chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 c (50 g) freshly grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Mince the garlic clove, chop the mushrooms, chicken, and broccoli into small pieces.

Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
Add the garlic, mushrooms, and chicken to the pan and stir. Fry on medium heat for several minutes until the chicken is cooked.
Add the broccoli and rice and stir so the rice is coated.

Meanwhile, heat the stock to just below boiling in a pan or in the microwave.
Add 1/2 c (125 ml) of the stock to the rice. Stir with a spatula or wooden spoon until almost all the stock is absorbed.

Add the stock in 1/2 c (125 ml) measures, each time stirring (almost constantly) until it is nearly absorbed.

Continuing adding stock, stirring, until the rice becomes soft and fluffy on the outside, but still with a slight bite inside. This may take more or less stock and will probably take about 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Taste and add salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

Does cooking a certain meal calm you down?

Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails