Thursday, September 9, 2010

apple bars with peanut butter glaze

When at the Hong Kong library this weekend, I discovered the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking cookbook. What a find! I can already foresee myself trying out many new recipes, such as Sunny Citrus Squares, Lemon Barley Scones, and Pumpkin Quick Bread. I immediately added spelt flour and orange juice to my shopping list. (Using orange juice in baked goods, I have learned, neutralises the slight tannic flavour that some people taste in whole wheat.) And I have great plans to share all my new ideas with you.


First, though, I tried out a recipe (the only one?) from the book for which I had all the ingredients on hand: these moist and tasty apple-cinnamon bars. The peanut butter and honey glaze is a nice addition--and who doesn't love apple and peanut butter together? Helen was over for dinner with us, and she gave these the thumbs up. She took a few home and Ant will take the rest into work. (For tasty, though they are, and full of whole wheat and oats, I don't want to eat all two dozen myself!)
Cinnamon-Apple Bars with Peanut Butter Glaze
adapted from Whole Grain Baking
makes 24 squares

for the bars:
3/4 c (165 g) butter, softened
1 c (200g) light or dark brown sugar, packed
1 c (250 ml) applesauce
1 t vanilla extract
3/4 t baking powder
1 1/2 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t cloves
1 egg
1 1/4 c (150 g) whole wheat flour
2/3 c (60 g) rolled oats, ground for 30 seconds in a food processor

for the glaze:
1 c (180 g) smooth peanut butter
6 T honey

Cream together the butter and sugar.
Beat in the applesauce, vanilla extract, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
Mix in the egg.
Add the flour and oats, blending well.
Pour into a greased 9" x 13" pan. Bake at 350 F (150 C) for 35-40 minutes.
Allow to cool in the pan.

Meanwhile, make the glaze. Put the peanut butter and honey in a microwavable bowl (or a small saucepan) and heat until they can be stirred together.
Stir until smooth, then spread over the cooled bars.
Cut into 24 squares.

5 comments:

Sanjeeta kk said...

Love the tiny squares, peanut glaze is indeed a good idea.

kaye said...

I love it. it looks delicious!

Sarah said...

Sanjeeta kk, I just love how apples and peanut butter go together so well. (Although, to be fair, the peanut taste was more prevalent than the apple in these bars.)

Kaye, I hope you get too try them out!

Sharon | Chinese Soup Pot said...

This looks like a wonderful recipe! I like apples and peanut butter a lot. In fact, I used to cut apple wedges and use them to scoop peanut butter out from a jar to eat with. I think these bars will be just as tasty!

Sarah said...

Hi Sharon, thanks for visiting! I like apple slices with PB as well. It's an easy snack with good protein to keep me going. I can see that we are kindred spirits. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading. I look forward to your comment and please feel free to ask questions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails